Saturday, December 4, 2010

Prevention is Better than Cure

A disaster not only brings suffering or injuries at the time it strikes  but afterward, too, in the form of psychological effects and infectious disease. The mental and emotional effects of natural disasters may not be apparent at first. This is because the first reaction is to take care of the physical damage while on the other hand, the agents of infectious disease find favorable conditions after a catastrophe and can easily spread if nothing is done to prevent them.

"PREVENTION OF MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS"

Typically, in a state of emergency, people need to be rescued and their physical safety is of first concern. Efforts are focused on cleaning up, rebuilding and providing shelter, etc. Because there are so many things that need to be taken care of, many people have to put their emotions on the back burner while they deal with the physical damage..
Mental health phases after disaster
There are two main things needed to be done on the victims:

1. Prompt treatment
Every single psychiatry symptoms finding should be considered as important signal as a psychopathology condition. Can be like people who appear to keep on being silent or hysterical cry or shouts.

2. Regular evaluation
Evaluation of the mental status of disaster- affected people should be done routinely. The procedures can be started right after the triage is done and continue thoroughly.

I've discussed about the clinical emergency response on physically and psychologically in my previous post. Welcome to read it back :)

Meanwhile, the prevention measurements should also being intervened towards the staff in charge for the psychological managements. They may be are already trained to do the job, nonetheless, they are also human with limitation of strength. Hence, it's recommended that these workers are placed in disaster affected area in less than 2 weeks. They have to avoid from experiencing psychiatric morbidity protecting them from any flaws on their emotion, energy, and even activities so they can be a truly good support group for the victims.

"PREVENTION OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE"

Lots of people are in close proximity during a time that challenges the ability practice normal hygiene, with strained bathroom facilities and diaper changes occurring in close quarters. Worst when they can't get clean water sources. It can also due to problems finding fresh clothes and laundry facilities and disposing of trash. It's not uncommon for people in the refugee camp to suffer diarrhea, nausea and respiratory illnesses, including colds.

The general safeguards which can be done and yes; can be explained to the refugees for them to really practice may include:
  • Water must be boiled or treated with iodine or chlorine before using it to clean, cook with or drink.
  • Fully cook food.
  • Wounds need to be cleaned as soon as possible and care should be taken to avoid new ones. Make sure they know who and where that they can get a treatment from.
  • Hygiene is one of the best infectious disease preventions. The victims notwithstanding, may not be able to care on this by themselves. There are so many of them and they have their own problems to deal with.. It's mostly (yes, not 100%) our responsible. Staff or volunteers to the the sanitary procedures are very important.
Here is the example of good management which support the prevention of infectious disease in the refugee camp on the Merapi eruption victims :)

Click to enlarge
That describes the condition of Posko SD Gambiranom, Manukan, Condongcatur, Depok (it's actually a school. Read the whole story for full details). One of the best statement to be highlighted is, 

"Secara umum, di posko ini, pengungsi dan relawan bekerjasama agar kondisi pengungsian tetap bersih dan rapi."

Translated: "In general, in this post, refugees and volunteers working for the refugee condition is kept clean and tidy."
 
Crystal clear, right?
The responsible for these preventions measurement goes to everyone involving in the circumstances :)

Reference:
  • "Disaster Management in Mental health", lecture by dr. Bambang Hastha Yoga, Sp. KJ
  • "Disaster Surveillance", Guest lecture: Dinkes Propinsi DIY

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete